Blog about custom sinks

Saturday, December 28, 2019

My 3 1/2 Year Experience with one of the first Tesla Model X's

My 3 1/2 Year Experience with one of the first Tesla Model X's

Never a dull moment and more fun than any adult can imagine while driving. 

I was an early adopter of the Tesla Model X. Those Falcon Wing Doors lured me in like a fat worm on a hook to a trout. I kid you not, the other reason was my test drive. Holy crap! I have never felt so dizzy in such a short time. Our salesperson took Lisa and me for a one-mile drive. Early on, she launched the car from Zero to 60 in 3 seconds. That made Lisa ill and me very dizzy. There were two very different reactions. Lisa said, get me out of this thing, and I said, oh hell yes, I need one now! We slumbered back to the dealership and I ordered one of the first model X's. They didn't even have one to show yet. 

When "she" arrived, it was like Christmas as a 6-year-old again. I had read so much about the car that everything they told me or showed me I already knew. I was ready, so I thought. 

Day one. Of course, I made myself dizzy as much as possible, however, I was unaccustomed to the regeneration of energy designed into removing one's foot from the "go" pedal. I discovered there was literally no need to brake until you were down to about 4 miles an hour. The trick was to know when to let up on the go pedal in order to stop at the appropriate time and place. That took MONTHS. I would come to a near stop 40 feet behind the car in front of me and then would have to move up and wonder what was wrong with my reflexes. After a couple of months, I was dead on, no more brakes until the last 3 or 4 mph. I realized, the brakes would last forever, and they will. 

Then there was the fear of running out of battery, not by me, but by EVERYONE else. Think of this, I have a charger at home and at my office. The range is roughly 225 miles. I charge every night at home, so what gas guzzler is full EVERY morning without having to go to the gas station? I drove from Orlando to Atlanta without issue. There were several FREE and FAST charging stations within 1/2 mile of the roads I was on in most cases. The charging lasted about 20 minutes. Time to grab a drink, use the restroom and get back on the road. 

My grandchildren called Tesla the "Vomit Comet". The name has stuck. It does have the power to make you quite nauseous. 
I now have about 36,000 miles on the Comet and have driven it since July of 2016 every day. 

Oh, I should mention their stellar service. Check this out...
That is Tesla Service coming to my office. Yes, they will come to you if the service can be done outside of the shop. Their service department (Orlando) is amazing. I am always pleasantly surprised with the customer service. If, and when, my car has to go to their shop, I am gifted a loaner (usually a nice Tesla) and they text me regularly with updates. 

I almost forgot the best part. This computerized marvel is self-driving. I have my car on autopilot 95% of the time. It has never caused me to worry. In fact, It may have saved my life twice!

The first incident was on the crazy I-75 in downtown Atlanta. Posted speed is a joke. 55mph, yea, right. Everyone is going 80, nearly bumper to bumper at those speeds. I was in the left lane and my car aggressively began braking. I could not see any reason... until the car in front of me smashed into the car in front of him. You see, Tesla has radar that can shoot under the car in front of you and detect what the front car is doing. My car detected aggressive breaking by the front car and the car in front of me was not paying attention. Save #1.

The second incident was on the way to Atlanta earlier that morning. It was 4am and I was on a toll road that hardly is used due to the high cost and the reasonably good alternatives. I was in a hurry, so I was going the speed limit of 70mph in the FOG. I had the car long enough to know it would navigate just fine in the fog. Well, again, it started slowing down, but not aggressively. As I slowed to 40mph, I saw the very dim lights of a flatbed truck going 40mph in a 70 zone. Granted, it was not that foggy and a prudent driver should have been going about 55 to 60, but not 40! His rear lights were nearly out, in fact, most were and the ones that were lit were barely lit. I may have run right up on that flatbed had my car not been controlling the drive. Save #2

A few weeks ago, Tesla came out with the Cyber Truck. Yes, I ordered one immediately. 
Many think it is ugly, but the odd thing grew on me, and fast. The metal used is the exact stainless allow Elon Musk uses on his new rockets. You can hit the side of the car, or anywhere, with a sledgehammer as hard as you want and it will not dent. In fact, it is bulletproof to a 9mm bullet - and so is the glass!
The one I ordered is /10th of a second faster than the Vomit Comet. Zero 10 60 in 3 seconds flat, and this beast is touted to weigh 10,000 pounds. My Tesla weighs in a just under 7,000 pounds!

Lastly, I have not ridden in the model 3 yet. I hear rave reviews. They have managed to get the price under 40K for a marvel that is decades ahead of the pack. I have ridden in several Model S - the sedan. Smooth as silk, and will still make you sick - I love that part!

Well, I did say lastly, but I have a bit more to say. The GAMES and FUN STUFF Elon sends monthly by downloads. My car is constantly getting upgrades and can do things it could not do earlier. It is like getting a new car every month!

Elon's sense of humor mirrors my sick sense of humor. A recent download allows the driver to make fart sound come out of whichever seat I select. I was quickly told to never do that again by Lisa. She just doesn't get that this is a gadget lovers NERD car. I love gadgets because they show innovation. Too often companies are stuck in the past, recreating old ideas by dressing them up differently. My goodness, the very first automobile was a Mercedez Benz and it had an internal combustion engine. We just keep putting different dresses on the well over 100 year old technology. 

OK, best part. Guess what the annual maintenance is? Rotate tires and check the windshield wiper blades! No oil, nothing to service. I love traffic jams now. More time to spend in my toy. Whoever thought I would ever say I love my X?

Thanks for reading my ramblings. 

Dino Rachiele



































No comments:

Post a Comment