Blog about custom sinks

Friday, February 9, 2018

Perhaps the Costliest Kitchen Mistake You Can Make!

Hammered nickel sinks or simply hammered nickel sinks are stunningly gorgeous - for a while. The only time you should consider getting one of these stunning beauties is if you don't plan on using the sink as a sink. 

I had one customer order a hammered nickel sink from arguably the most well-known imported copper sink companies in the US, and the finish turned black even before the sink was installed. They called me for advice. I said that I knew the owner of the company and I felt she ran a very reputable company and I felt the company would take care of her. I suggested she call the company. As I imagined, they did just that. They allowed the sink to be returned and a new sink was sent without any hassle at all. Sadly, the second sink started turning black in areas within a few days. She was able to get her money back - again without argument and ordered a hammered stainless sink from me. 

If you order one of these sinks from a reputable company, they will generally take care of you like this one did. The problem lies in the related costs - both in time and in actual labor costs for uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. 

Please note that my contention that "ALL nickel plated sinks will fail over time" is based on dozens of calls from people that this has happened to and from doing research online. Perhaps there is some magical process that I am not aware of for preserving a nickel plating over copper. I doubt it though...

I invite any company who feels this information is incorrect to contact me at dino@rachiele.com with factual information. If my claims are proven to be incorrect, I will print a retraction immediately. I do not want to cause harm to my fellow sink manufacturers, but I do want to point out what, apparently, is not being told to potential buyers!



No comments:

Post a Comment